par·a·site:

1. An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
2. One who habitually takes advantage of the generosity of others without making any useful return.


I went to bed last night with a head swimming in a sea of dissension. The devaluation of myself overwhelmed the possibility of sleep. It sapped me of my worth and hung over me like a black cloud. Between the emotional pain and the radio in the background I looked for clues for these bouts I experienced.

I listened as the radio talk show guest spoke of an interesting theory, with all the trappings of a paranoid science fiction based metaphor. Basically it described how many of the people with senseless hate in the world are infected with a parasite of the mind. Wow, a muscle cramping reach for motive, I thought. Ok, it was a bit over the deep end too, but hear me out.

Say, for instance, someone is emotionally vulnerable and seeks advice. All it would take is a few choice words to 'infect' that persons outlook from then on. One event can make a huge impact on a persons attitude, that often defies logic or reason.

The negative and extreme way of thinking consumes a persons entire being, much how parasites do. It isn't surprising that this hate spreads like wildfire. Any of the latest headlines provide examples of this massive intellect.

The theorists went on to explain energy parasites, a sort of feeding frenzy that sampled off fear and anxiety. He then said even certain people were zappers, draining others of their vitality. Perhaps like a familiar person you might encounter, that seems to suck the life right out of you.

An open mind was an integral part of believing it or not. I began to wonder if spiritually the idea the speaker implied bore any truth. I allowed the obscure diagnosis to bounce around my brain a bit. It didn't seem as far a stretch as I initially surmised.

Laying awake in the dark...
Almost anything seems possible.


Image: "Energy Vampire"
©2005 Barbara Pollak All rights reserved

No comments: